Saturday, August 9, 2008

There was a coup

But so what?
At least that seems to be most people's reactions to it. I'm safe, don't worry about it. The president tried to fire some top army type guys who evidently were involved in the last coup and they, in turn, fired him. Poor guy is under house arrest with a private chef in the palace in Nouakchott. So it goes, this is Africa. Anyway, it was bloodless and generally shrugged at by most of the populace as far as I can tell, though it is a little sad to my American eyes because he was the first and only democratically elected leader in Mauritanian history... I think.
Anyway, that's about all that's news worthy and bloggable... I got a little sick once, but what else is new. It was hot, but that's not very interesting. I'm starting to be able to understand my family when they talk, which is good, but still can't really respond well so they think I haven't learned anything which isn't so good. They keep telling me words I already know and I'm kind of over living with a family at this point, ready for some privacy!
Let's see... what else.... can't wait to swear in, get this show on the road!

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm glad the coup was such a non event. It has been totally replaced in the US news by clebrity deaths and news of the Olympics.

I do hope the coup does not have any effect on any funds that might have been in place for you to start the GMC in MBout.

I'm glad you got to talk to Tracy this weekend. She enjoyed it. I'll talk to you soon!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

It is always good to hear from you. I'm so glad the coup was as peaceful as it seems to have been. Hope there aren't any repercussions down the road. I just sent a letter off to you and will try to call you soon. Take care and God bless you.
Love, Gram

Unknown said...

Since when did you become a sickly boy? Walk it off, I don't see any blood spurting or bones sticking out...

It is always good to be thousands of miles away when you are talking this much smack... I am not really up to getting whupped up on by you just now. Maybe in a few months...

Thanks for the updats, and I will be sending a few items SOON! Any special requests??

Love ya', Pops