Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stage is all but over...

Or is it?
First of all I'd like to give a warm welcome to those of you reading my blog a little more closely this time around, you know who you are. And as always, a lovely hello to my family and friends who have not yet realized the futility of trying to get me to post pictures up here and have not yet gone elsewhere for their "living vicariously" and other such things. It's not that I haven't taken pictures, or that I don't want to post them, it's just that the liklihood of ever actually doing it with the combination of bad internet connections and slow cyber computers (and a peculiar streak of orneriness which is direct from my dear parents anyway so I don't know why you're so suprised) is something around the likelihood of ever getting a decent bit of cheese or glass of wine in this country... you know it happens, you've heard people talk about it, but it just never seems to happen to you.
So, those of you who are still with me, even though your stumbling hopes of pictures of the Mauritanian vastness are now crushed like a fire ant that just bit me on the ankle, welcome. Today is the last day with our host families, which seems to bring out the best and the worst of the whole host family exprience. On some level, everyone is a little more interested, a little more attentive, the kids more playful, etc, but there always has to be that one killjoy who asks you to give her pretty much everything you own at one point or another, "for remembrance". I'm sorry, but you just don't need my shoes, tent, fan, bag, clothes, flashlight, water filter, or bucket to remember me (I think my grandparents would agree that I'm unforgettable as is) and maybe you should just take the damn chocolate I gave the whole family and be happy about it? Hmmm? Okay, sorry to rant, I'm done.... now I'm on to language testing... which is mildly terrifying, swearing in... which is exciting... and the lovely possibility that it will take me weeks at my site to find a decent place to live... all while staying at a random person's house who i met four weeks ago for twenty minutes. Awesome. In all seriousness though, things are excellent. I had a fantastic family, relatively speaking, a very comfortable situation, I feel very comfortable in Hassaniya sometimes and I generally am looking forward to being back at the center for a week or so and I am very excited to finally get to my site and start doing my job (which probably consists of drinking tea at people's houses for the next six months... c'est la vie)
And now I've been ranting long enough and I'm not really sure even what I said but I know I've been typing for about twenty minutes and that is certainly enough of my cyber time. Best of luck to those of you doing things and such... and in the I-wish-these-were-immortal-words of my friend Meghan D from home "try not to get dead or smuggled"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You most certainly are unforgettable :) I loved reading your blog and knowing that you are enjoying life. I have a box almost filled to the brim with spices etc. Let me know if there is anything else you want right away, as in a month or more that it takes to get your packages. Take good care and God bless you.
Love, Gram

Allison said...

So, still no pictures, huh? Dang! Fortunately others' parents' children have posted some lovely pictures so I have some idea of what it looks like for you. :P

I too am getting a box ready to send. Have you gotten the one I sent to Nouakchott yet? Hope so!

Love and miss you lots!
Love, Mom

Allison said...

PS. As I was stalking Emily's blog, I find I am not the only one in the family to do so. :P

Also, you never did tell me if that is her in the picture I have of you. My thinking is that it is.

Have a great last week of stage and talk to you soon!

Sending good language test thoughts your way!

Love,
Mom

Sarah said...

I'm stalking your blog...I've been home about a week and I already miss Mauritania. How crazy is that?

Good luck with the next week and the move.
Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

You are unforgettable, but no pics doesn't surprise me. Yep, you're ornery enough not to post any. I challenge you to NOT post any photo's for the entire duration. I hope you enjoy the stuff your Mom sent you. :) Just remember 120 cranks works best.
Duncan, Brendan, & Carolyn all send their best regards. Carolyn throws in a hug for good measure as do I.
Mike

andarenee said...

Letter has been commenced!
Sending stage will hopefully occur relatively soon!
but the bad news is that i think i am too poor to send you any spices.....
-andrea

Allison said...

Congratulations on swearing in and being official. :) Can't wait to hear about the celebration.

Love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on everything being official and you're now an offical PCV! Way cool and keep up the good work.
God bless you.

andarenee said...

stop being bad at blogging!

Allison said...

I think your orneriness comes directly from your father... I'm much too nice. :)

Love you!
Mom