Thursday, July 17, 2008

Things I like

Paper letters, send me some because they're fun to get. I got three the other day, two from mom and one from Grandma and thank you both, it was fun to get mail.
A frisbee. I really want a nice ultimate frisbee of the kind that you get for like $20 at walmart, please.
Cliff bars. Peanut butter flavored. Sometimes protein is hit or miss when I don't like eating things like intestines or brains or other mystery organ meats with weird textures... so on those days cliff bars are great.
Visitors... but not until January. I don't actually have vacation time until January when I plan to enjoy some lovely days and nights in Senegal.
Today is the last day of class for phase 1, which ends officially on maybe monday or something. We find out our site placements Monday and take off for a week to visit them and our future region mates and to get a feel for what we need to do to hone our language skills which are ragged at best. So far, of the 77 pcts we started out with, we still have all 77 despite all expectations to the contrary. There is some speculation that we'll lose some people at site visit when people get to their sites and decide they can't live like that for two years or some other reason. I personally think we're just a badass group. Saturday those of us GEE PCTS who live in Rosso are taking a little field trip out to visit our rural counterparts in Mbalal, then we spend the next couple nights in the center camping out in tent city just like the first week. Today marks the one month from leaving home. One down, twenty-six or thirty-eight to go. :)
I love this continent, today has been a good day. I'm sorry if I don't describe things vividly, if I describe them at all, I just generally feel like I don't want to divorce myself from my surroundings by viewing them as new or different or fundamentally unusual. One little note though on a little critter that has moved high up on my irritating insects list: fire ants. The little bastards bite and scurry away and I'm left with a sharp and throbbing pain like a red hot needle in my skin for hours. Still not as irritating as flies though.
Okay you lot, best of luck with everything and leave me notes

8 comments:

Allison said...

I'm glad you finally got your mail! I have been sending letters pretty regularly. :)

Your dad and I will coordinate to get stuff mailed to you. I sent you the first package of stuff you requested about 2 weeks ago, so we'll see how soon, if at all, it gets to you. I'm really enjoying your blog! It's good to hear what you are up to. Sorry about the fire ants, they are nasty! Take some pictures!
Love and miss you!
Mom

Tracy said...

LOL. Okay, Mom wins. I will put pencil to paper and mail you some real letters. Mostly I can keep you up to date on my fabulous pregnancy symptoms. Nausea, anyone? Glad things are going well. Miss you! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have gotten mail. I sent another letter off earlier this week. I can send a package to you as well,now that I know the kinds of things you like. It is always good to read your news, please keep us posted as often as possible. God bless you. Please take good care of yourself. Keep those ants away.
Love,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear things are going great, aside from the ants. Be glad you're not where they get REALLY big!
I'm shopping for frisbee's!
Carolyn has won blue ribbons in all the events she entered in the Madison Co. Fair. She won second place in a "Walk & Trot" showing today. She's as tired as she is delighted.
Duncan started work in Story City today. He's really excited and seems happy to be there.
Brendan is taking the week off, so it's been good for him too. He saw "Puddle of Mudd" Tuesday night in WDM.
Just remember, in about 8 weeks it starts getting cold here. You'll still be warm.

Anonymous said...

Hey, we still want pictures!

Tracy said...

Jt,
I found a website with a video you have to watch. (If you haven't already discovered it yourself). Go to www.wherethehellismatt.com and watch the 2008 video. Too cool!

Allison said...

Talked to John this morning. His site is Mbout in the Gorgal region, not too far from the Senegal River. :D

Alicia said...

Heya, you still wanting to bike from Cairo to Cape Town? Say yes and I'll see if I can get you a frisbee.