Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm a ho, it's my job

Practice your Soninke greetings at home!
1. Salaamu alaykum?
2. Malaykum asalaam.
3. amaho?
4. Majam.


Get it?
We went through all four sets of greetings for all four languages and once they all become a giant cluster in your head you'd be amazed what kinds of sounds-like phrases help you keep them straight.
Flew in yesterday morning, of course, arrived in Rosso late afternoon, and then a long long day since both Friday and Saturday ran into one another and became the longest summer solstice ever imagined. Slept outside on a mat in my amazingly brilliant free-standing mosquito net and I swear I have never slept so well in my life, particularly in Africa.
Other news: My sister is pregnant! Sorry, Tracy, for failing to really react when you told me thursday, I'm pretty sure I didn't even realize what you said until Friday afternoon. On a more serious note, I feel the child should be named after me. I'm thinking "John the lesser" for a boy and "Johnina" for a girl (shortened to Jo, naturally)
Alright friends and family, sit tight, and I'll be on again at least once between now and Friday. We've got wireless (!!!) in the compound here.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey Brat,
I will certainly take your suggestions under advisement. LOL. Glad to hear you're doing well there. Wow, wireless! This means you can get up to the minute small child pictures once the small child comes out to play. :) We are making our way through telling all sorts of people and its quite interesting. Miss you tons!
-Tracy

Allison said...

Thanks for posting! I'd heard from lots of other parents that their kids had posted or called or emailed, so I knew you were safe and sound. It is nice to hear it straight from you though. :)

As you might expect, I have some of my own suggestions for grandchild names. :P

Take care, be safe and remember how much you are loved!
Love,
Mom