Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yeah yeah I know

Firstly, Happy 2009! Secondly, I'm well aware that this is way overdue and all that nonsense, but I'm not going to apologize so you can just relax and be happy with what you get. That was me digitally sticking my tongue out at all of you, so you know. Alright, any death-defying adventures this time? Well there was the usual harrowing trip into Kaedi on the back of a truck, the lovely little party in Aleg to christen their new region house (not as cool as Kaedi's or Selibaby's by the way), Christmas in Nouakchott was a blast with cheese and food and stuff, and then there was the brief running from the police thing when our taxi driver got in a fist fight with a gendarme captain and the man inexplicably held a grudge. After that we went on down to Rosso for a night, then St. Louis for some sun and surf and some lovely relaxing beach sitting. Now I'm back in Nouakchott and I'll be here for some four or five days for ETR and then after that back to Kaedi for a few days followed by a trip to home sweet Mbout. I'd make this longer and more detailed but there's a line of people waiting to use these computers and so I'll just put off the real blog entry thing until I get back to Kaedi, maybe sometime around my birthday :) Happy new year everybody!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you as well. Let me know when you get to Kaedi and I will get your Christmas/birthday gift sent your way :) Glad you outran the police, and had a good time in all your various towns. Please take good care of yourself. God bless you.
We are just back from Ames and a fun visit. Tracy's shower went well and I gave her a hug for you, as requested. :)
Love,
Gram

Allison said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday my dearest son John, Happy Birthday to you!!!

It was good to talk to you the other day. I hear there was a little bit of a ruckus near the Peace Corps headquarters the other day. I hope you stayed in the clear.

I'll talk to you in the next couple of days.
Love you lots!
Mom

Judy said...

Hey, John. Just wanted to post a quick note to say Happy Birthday. Have (or probably, by the time you read this, "hope you had...") a great celebration, and an easy trip back to Mbout.

Warmly,
Judy

Anonymous said...

JT,

Happy Birthday -- hard to imagine you are sooo old already. I remember changing your diapers like it was yesterday, and it has been several years since you needed them at night!

Hope the travels are fun but UNEVENTFUL -- no need for too adventurous of a trip. Be safe. I will talk to you SOON. Love you lots and miss you even more than lots. Like mega-lots or something.

Pops

Tracy said...

Hey Brat,
Happy Birthday!! I am predictibly late in getting Christmas/B-day gifts on their way. I am planning on putting a letter into the mail very soon though. Wow, I'm a terrible sister! LOL. I miss you tons and will try to call you soon. Glad everything is going well and hope that all your travels are pleasant (as they can be).
Love,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

And happy birthday from me as well! Sounds like the trip was fantastic, and as we slip and slide on the ice here, there is certainly a great deal of envy!

Hope you are back and settled safely!

Best,
Carol