Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Isn't this a terrible idea? I mean really it's just downright miserable. A blog. What am I supposed to write about here? I could write about my ride into Kaedi yesterday but because there are several different types of audiences reading this thing, how do I know the best way to treat my subject matter? For example:

Dear Mom: Yesterday Cortney and I made it into Kaedi, overall the trip went fine, no major snags. We're going to stay in Kaedi over the fete for the end of Ramadan because that is Cortney's birthday too and she just got a cake mix in a package so we can make that in the makeshift oven at the region house. We hope to be much more productive in the next month, now that Ramadan is finishing up.

Dear Dad: Yesterday Cortney and I hitched a free ride on the back of a pickup truck into Kaedi, the ride was pretty rough but not too bad. We're hanging out in Kaedi for the next couple days because it's Cortney's birthday and we're gonna party with some other Americans to mark the occasion. Chances are pretty good that next month is gonna be equally frustrating to this last one because there's such a changeup of residents when Ramadan ends. Everyone goes back to their own town and we're gonna have to introduce ourselves to a whole lot of people all over again.

Dear Sis: I hate riding on the back of pickup trucks. Cortney had a cushy spot propped on a rice sack or something while I was sitting on the cooking utensils, my ass feels like ground beef after three hours of bouncing up and down on an unidentifiable bag of semi-sharp objects with way too many corners. All in all, for a free ride it wasn't bad and I shouldn't complain, I only came close to flying off once or twice. The mayor snagged us this ride with less than ten minutes warning so I'm pretty sure I left everything resembling clean clothes in Mbout. I guess beggars can't be choosers right? We were going a little nutso in Mbout alone and by yesterday morning we had both been yelling at nothing that we needed a ride to Kaedi or we were gonna lose it. Anyway, we were both in need of a drink and a shower and a little bit of American socializing. We'll get back to Mbout within a week or so probably, and who knows? Maybe we'll even do something this month. Though i guess I did move into my house, so that counts as an accomplishment for last month.

Do you understand my dilemma? I mean it's all the same story, it just changes a little depending on who I'm telling it to. I know the three people I mentioned above are all reading this nonsense every time I post (and I assume you three all kept to your respective little letters, right?) but who else is out there? I have my suspicions about a few of you. There's probably quite a few more family members, the occasional wandering friend who found this on facebook, and maybe some stalking parents of other PCVs, not to mention a Peace Corps nominee who e-mailed me last week. How can I know you're reading this if you don't ever leave comments?!

Alright. So I moved into my new house, I mentioned that, and it felt damn good to wave goodbye to the auberge, my hotel. I bought a bamboo bed and a big sera with some new thin mattelas for lounging about during the day. I wonder what you picture when I say that. (I found out conclusively that I now have the best argument yet for not posting pictures, I seem to have... misplaced... my camera sometime in the final days at the center around swear in. Oops.) Our mayor tried to switch us into a different sector, semi-unintentionally. He just casually mentioned that when the school director came back we could go meet him and set up which english classes we would be teaching at the lycee. No no no, that would be an education volunteer, and frankly we're woefully unqualified to try to teach english to 70 kids in a class room. No no, our sector really is just that GMC thing you keep half-dismissing.
I was sick for about a week, which was basically just Mauritania's way of stuffing my oft spoken hopes for good health and weight gain down my throat. Back to square one.
Yeah I'm afraid the only interesting news I really have is the stuff that happens to other people. Congrats to Emu and Dan on getting engaged! Wish I could be there for the wedding. Wish I could have raise a glass in your honor when the day rolls around. Neither is terribly likely, but I'll still be sending you both good vibes.
So that's about all I have today, nothing but a rather disjointed mess of a post really. To you, anonymous readers, who won't even bother to post a comment, at least do me this small favor. Go out and have a really amazing slice of cheese. Or a glass of good wine or beer. Or some lasagna. Or nachos. Or anything except rice. I'll enjoy it vicariously. :) Eid Mubarak!

11 comments:

Allison said...

Personally, I like your blog. Your personality shines through and I really miss your sarcastic remarks. :)

Glad you got your bamboo bed. Hope your hiney is better soon after sitting on the kitchen implements for three hours. Tell Cortney Happy Birthday from me!

Love you lots!
Mom

Allison said...

And.. You already lost your NEW camera? Ack.

PS Jan reads your blog too, but she won't post. She's a lurker. :)

Love Mom

andarenee said...

you are obsessed with the wine and cheese, my good man. in such a circumstance, i believe most people choose locations such as mm say, france, or perhaps italy, or even spain i guess but not really. But maybe i can send you boxed wine. it's like it's pre-packaged, right?

Judy said...

OK, John. Lest I be lumped in with the group of anonymous stalking PCV parents, I’m posting a comment. I came to your blog in an effort to get to know someone who is important to Emily in the only way available to me (though based on your descriptions of Mbout, it is now high on my list of places to visit). However, I now also read your blog for the sheer entertainment value. You are quite the writer. Be well, keep writing, and go empower those girls.
Warmly,
Judy

Tracy said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. YOU should be the one writing my pregnancy blog. It would be both interesting and, you know, actually posted. LOL. Remember, you write the blog so you don't have to write emails to several different people detailing the same event. That way, too, when we call you we can start from, "hey how's your new bamboo bed holding up" instead of "so, what's new in Mauritania." I feel like quite the bad sister right now. After our long conversation the other day I have totally forgotten what I was supposed to look up and email you. If you know...email me, and I'll email you. LOL. I promise to make some nachos and think of you. They will be delicious. I'm sure! I will also leave you the thought of the other yummy food I've had recently... corn on the cob, ice cream, apples, eggs, and sour gummy worms. Hope you enjoyed them all vicariously. :)
Love you brat,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every time you post, which could be more often if you ask me. I know you can't really post when you don't have the means but really what's a three hour ride on kitchen implements when you could keep us informed of all the very interesting things going on in your life.:) Tell Courtney Happy Birthday for me as well and enjoy her cake.
I will have a glass or two of wine for you so enjoy it. Please write again as soon as possible. God bless and be safe, and happy. Please stay well.
Love,
Gram

Anonymous said...

I must be the only one that ONLY ready my personal note -- and I am appalled at the thoughtlessness of others that would read my private note that was clearly addressed to me.

Peace Corps sounds like LOADS of fun, I can totally understand why you wanted to spend two years sleeping on wood and hitching rides in pickup beds and contracting exotic illnesses. Makes me feel like my youth was entirely misspent. No snide comments required...

I will make sure to consume even more cheese and drink an extra bottle of wine in your honor tonite. Hopedfully you will fully appreciate the sacrifice I am making -- my entire life seems like one long sacrifice for my children, and now I have to do even more...

Seriously, I always enjoy the updates and it DOES make me feel like I know a little bit about what you are doing. THANKS!

Love ya'!

Pops

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A trolling PCV parent here. It is a pleasure to read the different experiences. Thanks for keeping up the blog.

Anonymous said...

And who am I, chopped liver? LOL
Glad to hear you're doing well. Your mom shared your letter to her with me (told me to read your blog). Since the rest wasn't addressed to me, I ignored it. Brendan, on the other hand felt sorry about your backside feeling like raw hamburger.
I do enjoy your blogs, they're always a good read.
One friendly piece of advice from a man with six sisters (all but one with kids). DON'T argue with a pregnant woman. That said, I think I'd avoid writing on such subjects firsthand, considering your gender. So, when all else fails, DUCK!

Anonymous said...

Dear Johnny Bobby,

Yes I read your blog, but the frequency is somewhat lower than your posting frequency as there is always something new when I check and sometimes several new things. :)
All your well-wishes are appreciated, and you are certainly invited if only I had an address to stick on the invitation/letter envelope. In addition, though it's nice to know you would raise a glass with us, due to the short time frame for plans, the only available reception place left does not allow alcohol. Oh how short-sighted we were when we decided to save thousands of dollars and get married quick... I'm not sure if the alcohol-free night is worth all of this stress and money.
As always, it is a pleasure to read your blog, even if I don't understand what you are talking about half the time. The Peace Corps lingo has me lost. :) But remember back in the day of opendiary? I'm pretty sure your written wit hasn't changed much.

Anyway, I hope you figure out a way to get fruit and vegetables, though why you would ever want to eat green things, I will never understand. The next time I indulge in a wonderfully greasy pizza, I will think of you and your dietary abstinence.

Emu

PS, ADDRESS!